There are several steps in starting a child care business:
1. Take the Required Child Day Care Orientation
In order to obtain an application to apply for a child care program license or registration you will need to take the Child Day Care Orientation. The orientation is free and offered online.
The orientation will help you:
- decide if you are interested in starting a child care program
- determine if you are able to start a child care program in New York State
The orientation outlines:
- necessary requirements for opening a child care program
- child care rules and regulations
- information about ratios and staffing
- best care for children
The Child Day Care Orientation is offered by NYS Office of Children and Family Services.
- Click here for more information or to get started.
- Click here to view the Child Care Regulations and Policies.
2. Request an application
Upon completing the required orientation you can request an application. The application is free and is mailed to your home.
3. Complete the application
Contact a day care specialist at Delaware Opportunities Inc. Child Care Resource & Referral. A day care specialist can help you with the application process.
4. Complete Required Trainings
- CPR (infant, child and adult) and First Aid certifications
- For FDC and GFDC: Health and Safety: Competencies for Becoming a Family or Group Family Day Care Provider. Click here for the next scheduled training.
5. Make an Appointment for an Inspection
An inspection of the child care space is required prior to opening. The purpose of the inspection is to ensure that NYS Office of Children and Family Services requirements are being met.
For more information, contact a day care specialist,
Monday-Friday from 8AM to 4PM
Toll free at 877-746-2279
Or come to our office at:
Delaware Opportunities Inc.
35430 State Highway 10
Hamden, NY 13782